Protecting children in Algoma
for over 100 years

General FAQs

Q: If I have concerns about a child, whom should I speak to?

A:Calls can be made to CAS Algoma at anytime.  During the daytime hours, your call will be directed to our Intake Department.  The telephone screener will take information from you and determine how best to respond to your concerns. After office hours, our After Hours Staff will respond in a similar fashion after receiving the message from the answering service.

Q:  How old does a child have to be left unattended by an adult?
A: There is no specific age at which a child can be left unattended. The Child, Youth, and Family Services Act states that parents of children under the age of 16 years, must make "reasonable provisions" for their care. This requires parents to ensure that if they leave their children at home alone, that they have made appropriate efforts to ensure their children’s safety such as ensuring they have emergency phone numbers.
Q:  At what age can a child baby-sit other children?
A: It is important to know that there is no age specified by law for baby-sitting and it is a matter of the parent determining if a teenager is responsible enough to provide a safe environment for your child.  Not all children are responsible enough by age 12 years. Consideration should be given as to whether the baby-sitter has taken a certified baby-sitting course, has previous baby-sitting experience with positive references and appears to have a good rapport with your children
Q:  My son/daughter is 16 years of age and tells me that he/she is leaving home. What can I do?
A: Legally, a child is entitled to reside where they choose when they turn 16 years of age, without interference from their parents. For children under the age of 16 years, parents are responsible for providing for their children with respect to their basic needs and to file a Missing Persons Report if the child goes missing from the home.
Q:  Can I make a referral to the CAS anonymously?
A: Yes, all calls to the agency are taken seriously regardless of whether you provide your name or not. Providing your name, however, allows for the social worker investigating the matter to be able to clarify information with you and helps to verify the concerns.
Q:  Can I call the CAS myself to make a referral on my own family?
A: Yes. We know there are times when the pressure of parenting can be overwhelming.  Call the CAS and consult with an Intake Screener with regards to difficulties that you are having in parenting your children. The CAS does not get involved in every situation that we receive information regarding and often suggests other services that would be more appropriate to assist you.