Protecting children in Algoma
for over 100 years

Children's Aid Society of Algoma

History

The Society’s response to children who are victims of abuse or neglect has changed much in the past century. At first, communities ignored the problem of child abuse and neglect and later placed children into orphanages that were sometimes little better than the situation from which the child was removed.

The Prevention of Cruelty and Better Protection of Children’s Act which emphasized the protection of children authorized Children’s Aid Societies to remove neglected children to a place of safety. In 1902, the Children’s Aid Society of Sault Ste. Marie and Algoma were incorporated. By 1902, that place of safety was increasingly becoming foster homes, rather than orphanages.

Through the 1900’s the child welfare legislation was rewritten to reflect changing societal attitudes towards the rights and needs of children and the importance of prevention and family preservation. In 1985, the current Child and Family Service Act became law. Its paramount objective is to promote the best interests, protection and well being of children and youth.

1902 The Society was first established as the “Humane Society of Sault Ste.
Marie.”
 
1904 John Joseph Kelso, who was hired by the Government to administer the 1893 Bill
for the Prevention of Cruelty To and Better Protection of Children, arrived in
Sault Ste. Marie from Toronto to assist a number of Sault Ste. Marie volunteers
further establish the Society. At the time, 36 Societies were operating in
Ontario.
 
1905 The Society established a definite structure when its first full Executive and
Council were elected at its Annual Meeting....
 
To read the history in it's entirety please click on the document to the right